The Pacific Northwest is a beautiful part of the country, with snow-capped mountains, giant forests, and rugged coastlines. In Washington state, Seattle sits amidst all of this beauty on Puget Sound.
The city and surrounding metropolitan area is remarkably cosmopolitan, with a strong sense of culture and appreciation for the arts. Visitors can visit an array of museums; the Pacific Northwest Ballet; the Seattle Symphony Orchestra; Broadway plays at several theaters; professional football, baseball, and soccer games; nearby wineries; and amazing dining establishments. Here is my list of top dining establishments in Seattle and the surrounding area.
1. Canlis: With a menu that makes the most of Pacific Northwest cuisine, an impressive wine list that consistently wins awards from Wine Spectator, food from award-winning chef Jason Franey, and spectacular views of Lake Union, Canlis is not to be missed when you visit Seattle. Reservations are strongly recommended.
2. Rovers: The “Chef in the Hat,” Thierry Rautureau provides the finest of Pacific Northwest cuisine with a French twist at Rovers on Madison Avenue in Seattle. The menus are all prix fixe and feature Rautureau’s inspired cuisine along with a high-quality wine list. Reservations are highly recommended.
3. Wild Ginger: Pacific Rim cuisine is on display at Wild Ginger on Third Avenue in Seattle and Northeast 6th Street in Bellevue. The award-winning restaurant is included in Zagat’s Best Restaurants of the World, and its wine list is a Grand Award winner of Wine Spectator’s 2011 Restaurant Awards.
4. The Herbfarm: Located a short drive away in the heart of Washington wine country, Woodinville, Washington, the Herbfarm features seasonal Pacific Northwest cuisine (with many of the ingredients grown on the property) in a nine-course menu that pairs northwest delicacies with delicious regional wines.
5. Lola: Celebrity chef Tom Douglas makes the Pacific Northwest his home, and his best work is on display at Lola. Located in Belltown, Lola features Greek and Mediterranean fare with ingredients sourced from local growers. Casual dress is welcome, and reservations are strongly encouraged at this local favorite.